Sunday, June 2, 2013

Is This My New Normal?

Many people who are chronically ill wonder if they will be normal again. If they will just be able to feel alive and do what they used to before they became ill.

I started wondering that tonight after 12 years of being sick. I miss out on so much. Today was my sons best friends graduation party and I am stuck in bed with hives. I even missed my sister's wedding cause I get severely sick when traveling. It has been my normal being sick every day for 12 years. I never thought about normal until tonight and it is an emotional thought process. How do I move on from here?

I think you just do. The human body even though sick can still learn to change, accept, and adapt our lives to this new normal. We do this at every new diagnosis, every day when we wake up wondering how we are going to get though the day. Even the days we are stuck in bed. Adapting. Adapting our lives to fit our new normal. It has to be done in order to survive. We have to adapt, make changes and learn to accept this being our normal. It isn't an easy or quick journey. It is a daily life long effort. One that in order to ensure or resilient behavior is one we have to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment