Monday, August 5, 2013

Video Games and Bullying

When my son decided to enter the world of gaming I thought back to my Atari and all the fun and stress relief it gave me. It was an out away from school etc. I thought it would be just something fun to do.

Well at first it was fun for him then it became all about bullying, harassment, modders, trolls. Anything but fun. More on the lines of stressful and downright depressing.

I hear day in and day out the bullying, the fighting, the arguing. Constantly. If he is playing online you have the hackers that hack peoples avatars. Now I have to think that Microsoft is aware of this and is at least trying to do something about it. So far, I am not seeing that. Every day it seems to be the same but with other hackers, modders or trolls.

Since video games are an addiction it is hard to just walk away. To some it is making them depressed, emotional and combative. To get on to play a game for fun but met with all the fighting and the cheating doesn't seem to be worth it anymore.

Video games should not be stressful. They shouldn't upset people. They shouldn't be about who can be the biggest bully or who is better then someone. It is about playing. Playing a game. Winning and losing and having fun doing it. Apparently as I have been made aware of it is anything but that. Something needs to be done along the lines of getting it under control.

Parents you need to be aware that this is going on. Some kids aren't going to talk cause they want to keep playing. Xbox, Playstation, Second Life, IMVU all of them are dealing with this and I don't see anything being done. They want our money but they aren't providing an enjoyable service anymore. Maybe it is time for Microsoft and Sony to wake up and get this taken care of.

No comments:

Post a Comment